Interventional neuroradiology (INR), or endovascular surgical neuroradiology, is a practice which has undergone fast growth in its short existence as a specialty field. Originally developed in the 1980s by radiologists and neurological surgeons, INR is made possible by dramatic advances in computer technology and state-of-the art equipment.
What Is Interventional Neuroradiology?
Interventional neuroradiology is a highly subspecialized field of radiology that uses imaging guidance to treat disorders and complex diseases involving the blood vessels of the brain, face, neck, and spine with minimally invasive techniques. Typical treatments include:
- Brain aneurysm treatment
- Embolization of cranial and spinal dural arteriovenous fistulae
- Treatment of arteriovenous malformations (AVMs) of the brain and spine
- Carotid cavernous fistula treatment
- Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty for vertebral compression fractures
- Treatment for vertebral tumors
- Intracranial vasospasm treatment
- Treatment for refractory nosebleeds (epistaxis)
- Treatment of extracranial brachiocephalic atherosclerosis including carotid stenting
- Head and neck tumor treatment including paragangliomas
- Treatment of traumatic intracranial and extracranial vascular abnormalities
- Preoperative meningioma embolization
- Treatment of intracranial atherosclerosis with angioplasty and/or stenting
- High-quality spinal angiography
- Intracranial venous interventions, including thrombolysis and petrosal sinus sampling
- Temporary balloon occlusion (TBO) testing of the carotid and vertebral arteries
- Permanent occlusion (sacrifice) of the carotid or vertebral arteries
Highly Skilled Interventional Neuroradiologists
ARA is proud to offer the most highly skilled team of interventional neuroradiologists in North Texas. The tight focus and specialized skill set of our four Fellowship-trained interventional neuroradiologists offer patients access to treatments for some of medical science’s most perplexing cases.
AOur fellowship-trained, fully experienced, and widely respected interventional neuroradiologists offer minimally invasive treatments for complex disorders of the brain, neck and spine. Our team consists of recognized experts in the field.
As an example of our team’s skill, ARA’s interventional interventional neuroradiologists’ abilities in the endovascular coiling of intracranial (brain) aneurysms means the team treats more than 100 aneurysms every year.
The Cooperative Approach - the ARA Difference
As with all our subspecialty divisions, we incorporate a team approach. In this case, we offer collaboration with specialists from the departments of neurosurgery, neurology, otorhinolaryngology, vascular surgery, and orthopedic spinal surgery. This fosters a strong interdisciplinary approach to increase the accuracy of results and efficacy of treatment.
Want to learn more?
If you’re interested in ARA’s radiology services or partnership, please contact us for further details.